Friday, July 12, 2013

If God Is For Us, Who Can Ever Be Against Us?



Friday, July 12, 2013        If God Is For Us, Who Can Ever Be Against Us?

“What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us?”
Romans 8:31

Do you honestly believe that God is for you? The psalmist makes this claim in Psalm 56:9 and Paul reaffirms it here in Romans 8:31. So let me ask the question again, do you honestly believe that God is for you? If you could answer, "Yes and Amen," there would come a relaxedness, a serenity and a compassionate attitude toward yourself that is a reflection of God’s own tenderness. (Brennan Manning)

It is not easy for us to take this leap of faith. It is one thing to believe God is for us when we are engaged in doing good deeds and living a life where Jesus is visible in our mortal flesh. But let’s face it self-sacrificing love isn’t the norm of our life day in and day out. Therefore, Paul reminds us that the foundation for believing God is for us, rests entirely on God, Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all” (Romans 8:32). Our relationship, our right standing with God is first, last and always resting on God’s grace, not our good works. Paul is saying that even today when I feel lousy, when it will probably be best for all if I just stay in my cave, that even today God is for me.

On a day like today, I am susceptible to experiencing condemnation. Today is a good day for my adversary, the enemy of God to accuse me of failing God. Today I can rightly expect the deceiver to show up and call me an imposter. Fine, let the liar show up because I have a word for him: “Who dares accuse (me) whom God has chosen for his own? No one—for God himself has given (me) right standing with himself. Who then will condemn (me)? No one—for Christ Jesus died for (me) and was raised to life for (me), and he is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for (me)” (Romans 8:33-34). Hallelujah!

We all have good days and we all have not-so-good days. There are some days when it is better for me, and others, if I stay in my cave. But because of the truth of God’s word, those days are transformed from self-condemning pity parties to quiet times of praise and rejoicing. On those cave-dwelling days, because Jesus is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for me, I can sing with Mary, “Oh, how my soul praises the Lord. How my spirit rejoices in God my Savior!” (Luke 1:46-47).

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  In addition to this BLOG they are distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com. The Kindle version will follow soon.

·        The second edition First Think – Then Pray has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

No comments: