Friday, September 4, 2020

Jesus Feeds Four Thousand



September 4, 2020
Jesus Feeds Four Thousand

“I feel sorry for these people. They have been here with me for three days, and they have nothing left to eat.
Mark 8:2
Read: Mark 8:1-10

Mark tells us the people had been in the countryside with Jesus for three days. Mark does not mention any signs and wonders during those three days. For three days, the Messiah had been teaching the people. The Messiah is teaching his people about the Kingdom of God. No signs and wonders are mentioned here, no healing, no miracles. As we have already seen, the Kingdom of God is altogether different than the ways of our culture. I still have much to unlearn, so I can learn and practice the ways of the Messiah.

I also see that the Messiah has a personal concern for his people. And when the Messiah reaches out to meet the needs of his people, he involves his disciples in the process. He asked his disciples to identify their resources. He blesses their resources and sends his disciples to feed and care for his people.

My Takeaway: I find it easier to receive today’s passage as pointing to how much I need to learn from Jesus. I find it easier to receive today’s passage as pointing to how I need to join in with the disciples of Jesus in providing for the needs of people. I find it more difficult to accept that Jesus has very real compassion for me and for my needs. To which I think I hear Jesus saying, ‘Now you are getting it.”

<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Copyright © 2020 by Alex M. Knight

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

  • Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

  • The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: