Friday, January 22, 2021

Which Is Right in God’s Eyes?

 Meditations on The Acts of the Apostles

January 22, 2021

Which Is Right in God’s Eyes?

As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.”

Acts 4:20

Read: Acts 4:13-22

As I read verse 20, I am reminded of the prophet Jeremiah’s statement,

“If I say, “I will not mention him, or speak any more in his name,” then within me there is something like a burning fire shut up in my bones; I am weary with holding it in, and I cannot” (Jeremiah 20:9 NRSV).

This has been one of my life verses, especially as I went through the ordination process and had to articulate how I understood God calling me to preach in His name. Peter was in a place similar to Jeremiah. He faced very powerful and very hostile men who ordered him to stop speaking in the name of Jesus. Peter and John’s response is a word the followers of Jesus must hold onto today:

“But Peter and John replied, “Which is right in God’s eyes: to listen to you, or to him?” (Acts 4:19)

My Takeaway: Peter’s response invokes a principal that is not discussed much today: God’s sovereignty. We will see an example of this in our reading for January 25, 2021, but for today I need to prayerfully consider whether in every aspect of my life, I listen to God, or am I listening to all the other voices around me.

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2021 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments: