Tuesday, September 3, 2024

He Has Revealed God to Us

 Meditations for Seeking the Life in Christ

The Gospel of John

September 3, 2024

 He Has Revealed God to Us

“If you trust me, you are trusting not only me, but also God who sent me. For when you see me, you are seeing the one who sent me. I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark.

John  12: 44b-46

John opened his Gospel with the declaration that Jesus and God are One, and that Jesus’ mission was to reveal God to the world: “No one has ever seen God. It is God the only Son, who is close to the Father’s heart, who has made him known.” (John 1:18). In today’s passage Jesus affirmed his mission: “If you trust me, you are trusting not only me, but also God who sent me. For when you see me, you are seeing the one who sent me” (John 12:44b-45).

Jesus’ remarks in this passage help us understand the connection between faith, that is our believing, and Jesus’ signs. Last night when I went to bed, I believed the sun would rise this morning. This morning the sun did rise, not because I believed it would, but because that is the nature of the sun. It rises and sets each day. My believing opens the possibility for me to benefit from the warmth and light the sun will bring.

The Prophet Jeremiah writes, “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning” (Lamentations 3:22-23). My believing in this passage does not make it real. God’s mercies are new every morning whether I believe it or not. My believing opens opportunities for me to experience God’s mercy anew every day.

My Takeaway: Many people did not believe Jesus was the Messiah or that he was birthing God’s New Creation. Nevertheless, Jesus was the Messiah, and he continued with his mission to bring about God’s New Creation. Those who chose to believe Jesus benefited greatly. They still do.

Sē’lah

My book on prayer,

First Think, Then Pray

is now available on Amazon Kindle.

 

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2024 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: