Friday, February 8, 2013

Friday, February 08, 2013



The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
Friday, February 08, 2013  I Again Spoke in Parables 
Page 194-195         Luke 18: 1-14

Jesus tells two parables which, if taken out of context, can be quite confusing. Remember, Jesus was on the way to Jerusalem. The closer he got to the city the more resistance he encountered. Jesus knew that in Jerusalem, through his death and resurrection, he would be vindicated as God’s Messiah. Jesus affirmed that God was at work bringing about the fulfillment of his plan. He encouraged his flock to stay faithful. They could trust God to vindicate their faith in Jesus.

To emphasize his point, Jesus presented the parable of the tax collector and the Pharisee. Which one went away vindicated by God? This parable is an excellent illustration of justification by faith. The tax collector had little or no faith in himself, but he had great faith in a great God of mercy. Jesus wants his followers, then and now, to rest in their right standing before God. Our right standing comes not from our good works. Our right standing with God is based solely on the sure knowledge of God’s love for us.

“For no one can ever be made right with God by doing what the law commands. The law simply shows us how sinful we are” (Romans 3:20).

“We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are. For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. Yet God, with undeserved kindness, declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins. For God presented Jesus as the sacrifice for sin. People are made right with God when they believe that Jesus sacrificed his life, shedding his blood” (Romans 3:22-25a).

“But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners” (Romans 5:8).

As I meditate on scripture passages like these, I run to Psalm 23 and with great thanksgiving make the psalm my personal prayer:

“Jesus you are my shepherd; I have all that I need. You let me rest in green meadows; you lead me beside peaceful streams. You renew my strength. You guide me along right paths, bringing honor to your name. Even when I walk    through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with your blessings. Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in your house forever.”


Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  In addition to this BLOG they are distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.


The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
Monday, February 11, 2013         I Discussed Divorce
Page 195-196         Matthew 13:53a, 19:1-12; Mark 10:1b-12; Luke 16:18

No comments: