Monday, May 6, 2013

Your Worth to God is Unchanging



Monday, May 06, 2013               2 Corinthians 4:8-11

Your Worth to God is Unchanging

Cheryl and I recently added two bird feeders to our deck. It has been entertaining watching the squirrels examine the feeders, which so far have proved that they are indeed “squirrel-proof.” The squirrel climbs all around it, goes to the top and hangs up-side down and studies it closely, then leaves in great consternation. Not long after he leaves, two Goldfinches arrive at one feeder while a red Cardinal enjoys an afternoon snack at the other one. I am amazed that all these beautiful creatures have homes in the trees surrounding our home, and I am reminded of the words of Jesus: “Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are?” (Matthew 6:26).

As we seek life in Christ, Jesus continually reminds of us our value to God. I need that constant encouragement because the wounds of life have cut deeply into my soul and I battle daily over the issue of my self-worth. I have found the story of the $100 bill helpful in keeping me grounded in God’s love. Imagine that I am showing you a $100 bill.

“Would you like this $100 bill?”
“Yes, of course I would” you reply.
Then I fold the bill, once, and then fold it again. “Do you still want it?”
“Yes, of course.”
Then I unfold the bill and crumple the bill into a tiny ball. “Do you still want it?” “Sure, it is still $100.”
Next, I un-crumple the bill and throw it to the floor and with my foot smash it into the floor. Now, standing over the bill, I say to you again, “Do you still want this bill?”
“Yes, it is still worth $100.”
Yes it is.

And, your worth to God is unchanging also. The events and circumstances of life may make you feel as though you have been folded, crushed, and stepped on, but to God you value is unchanging. You are His precious child, with whom He is delighted and upon whom His favor rests.

"We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be made visible in our bodies. For while we live, we are always being given up to death for Jesus’ sake, so that the life of Jesus may be made visible in our mortal flesh” (2 Corinthians 4:8-11 NRSV).

Sē’lah
  
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  In addition to this BLOG they are distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com. The Kindle version will follow soon.

·        The second edition First Think – Then Pray has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

No comments: