Friday, August 15, 2014

Mr. Confrontational



August 15, 2014
Mr. Confrontational

“For he has not ignored or belittled the suffering of the needy. He has not turned his back on them, but has listened to their cries for help.”
Psalm 22:24

What is your image of Jesus? For many years my image was stuck on Jesus as the Good Shepherd, Jesus the shepherd that left the ninety and nine sheep in the wilderness to go seek and find the one that had wandered away. Then I encountered Jesus Mean and Wild: The Unexpected Love of an Untamable God by Mark Galli (Baker Books). Galli’s book is based on the Gospel of Mark and presents Jesus as stern, confrontational, purposefully confusing and even impatient. Jesus was in fact bold, in-your-face and confrontational, as much as he was gentle, kind and forgiving. Constructing an authentic image of Jesus requires that we embrace all of Jesus.

In my life, my image of Jesus is ever evolving because I am continuing to grow in Christ. The most recent addition to my personal galley of Christ is still a work in progress. Inspired by Christopher L. Heuertz’s book, Simple Spirituality: Learning to See God in a Broken World (IVP Books) I am being led to embrace a part of God’s Kingdom that I have pretty much kept at arm’s length. Chris discusses how the church has pretty much insulated and isolated itself far from those who are poor. With vivid stories of his experiences in those parts of the world where extreme poverty and malnourishment are tragic realities for millions of people, Chris followed Jesus’ lead to do even more than offer a cup of water or slice of bread; he offered himself in friendship and love.

Now I am wrestling with the confrontational Jesus. He is shaking me by my shoulders and taunting me, “Say it Alex, go ahead and say it!” I know what he wants me to say: “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts” (Psalm 139:23). I know why he wants to search me and root out my anxious thoughts. Mr. Confrontational wants me to be just like him and not ignore or belittle the suffering of the needy. He wants me to not turn my back on them, but listen to their cries for help.

Pray for me because right now I am not sure I want to ask the Confrontational One to search me. Maybe I’ll go hang out with the gentle shepherd instead.

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.

No comments: