Thursday, November 13, 2014

To Know Christ



November 13, 2014
To Know Christ

“But I know this: I was blind, and now I can see!”
John 9:25b

“For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him” (Philippians 2:13). How do we experience this powerful promise of God? First, we receive the Word of God as information. Through the work of the Holy Spirit the information becomes inspirational to us as our hearts are warmed by the truth of God’s Word. Then the inspirational truth of God’s Word within us transforms our lives, and the Word becomes incarnational within us. That is, we begin to live out the truth of God’s Word in ways that are pleasing to God.

Anthony DeMello, in his wonderful little book, The Song of the Bird, describes the process this way: “A dialogue between a recent convert and an unbelieving friend:

 “So you have been converted to Christ?” “Yes.”
“Then you must know a great deal about him. Tell me: what country was he born in?” “I don’t know.”
“What was his age when he died?” “I don’t know.”
“How many sermons did he preach?” “I don’t know.”
“You certainly know very little for a man who claims to be converted to Christ.’”
“You are right. I am ashamed at how little I know about him. But this much I know: Three years ago I was a drunkard. I was in debt. My family was falling apart. My wife and children would dread my coming home each day. Now I have given up drink; we are out of debt; ours is a happy home. All this Christ has done. This much I know of him!”

DeMello concludes the dialog with this observation: “To really know. That is, to be transformed by what one knows.”

In John’s Gospel the formerly blind beggar was asked a multitude of questions about Jesus. He could answer none. Like the recent convert in DeMello’s dialog, all he could say was: “But I know this: I was blind, and now I can see!”

How have you been transformed?

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.

No comments: