Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Paradox of Grace



January 29, 2015
The Paradox of Grace

And for their sakes I sanctify myself,
so that they also may be sanctified in truth.
John 17:19 (NRSV)

A paradox is a seemingly absurd or self-contradictory statement or proposition. Jesus’ statement in his prayer (John 17) certainly seems to qualify as a paradox. The idea that we are somehow sanctified by the truth of who Jesus is, and what Jesus has done for humankind, is incomprehensible. Yet clearly, Jesus desperately wants us to grasp this truth and to learn to rest in our blessed identity as the children of God. Thomas Merton was very helpful in leading us to this place of rest when he noted, “A saint is not someone who is good but who experiences the goodness of God.”

I think Merton’s observation helps us put into a living context the Prophet Micah’s instructions to the saints of God. We are “to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with (our) God” (Micah 6:8b NRSV). We can think together another day of what Micah means by doing justice and loving kindness. Today, let’s focus on walking humbly with God. We often look and act in unsaintly ways, even so our Abba keeps reminding us we have been sanctified in the blood of Jesus.

Here is a simple three point exercise for training to walk humbly. First, make a list of your personal paradoxes. Think of your own contradictions. For instance, I know I believe the Gospels, but I also have doubts. I hope in Christ, yet I get discouraged. I love God’s Kingdom, but sometimes I hate. Sometimes I feel guilty for believing I am so blessed. Sometimes I feel badly for not feeling bad enough about the suffering and oppression of others. I can be trusting, but I am also suspicious and cynical. I know the Gospel of grace, but I still get caught up in performance-based-acceptance issues. The next step is to take time and ponder your very own paradoxical nature.

Now, imagine Jesus putting one arm around the paradoxical you, and another arm around the sanctified you as he smiles and says, “I love you.” If you respond by singing Amazing Grace as you walk along with Jesus, you are walking humbly with God. I know it’s hard to sing while laughing and crying at the same time, but give it a try. ;-)


Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms is available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ  is available as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.

No comments: