Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Engendered for Compassion



June 7, 2016
Engendered for Compassion

But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross, he took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing. For it is written in the Scriptures, “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.” (Deut. 21:23 Greek version)
Galatians 3:13

How much of our wrongdoing was included in the death of Jesus on the cross? How much of the wrongdoing of the entire world was included in the death of Jesus on the cross? Is there any sin, any wrongdoing, any deviant behavior, any monstrosity, any crime or brutality, any act of oppression that is not included in the death of Jesus on the cross?

The clear and unambiguous teaching of Scripture answers those three questions with a resounding NO! The death of Jesus on the cross redeemed all humanity from the penalty for all of our sins against God. The compassion of Jesus to bear our transgressions is more than my finite mind can comprehend. I am surprised that the Gospels only used the word compassion eight times in describing Jesus’ response to human need. For me, I am not sure there is a better word to describe what was in the heart of God in Christ as he took upon himself the curse for my sins.

Merriam-Webster says compassion is a feeling of wanting to help someone who is sick, hungry or in trouble. Wikipedia, says compassion is the feeling of empathy for others. Compassion is the emotion that we feel in response to the suffering of others that motivates a desire to help. That pretty much sums up Jesus’ motivation to go to the cross for us, his response to the suffering of humanity. As I meditate on Jesus’ compassion, I sense two responses forming within me.

First, in my quite time alone with God, I want to spend more time contemplating God’s compassion for me. Perhaps the driving force for all of God’s feelings for me is His compassion for me, which motivates Him to reach out for me over and over again for all eternity.

Secondly, as the Father draws me into His compassionate heart, He engenders compassion within me: “As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience” (Colossians 3:12 NRSV).

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.

No comments: