Monday, July 18, 2016

Don’t Be Afraid. I Am Here



July 18, 2016
Don’t Be Afraid. I Am Here

“They were terrified, but he called out to them,
“Don’t be afraid. I am here!”
John  6: 19b-20

The theme of presenting Jesus as leading the people on an exodus continues in John’s description of Jesus walking on water. (John 6:16-21) As Moses led the people safely through the water of the Red Sea, here Jesus walks on the water, and his presence takes the disciples safely through the storm.

This reading provides us with more solid food for our devotional time. We all face times of great anxiety. The gale force winds and rough seas encountered by the disciples are a good metaphor for times of anxiety in our lives. In those times, if we will but listen, we will hear Jesus say those comforting words, “Don’t be afraid. I am here.” Is that enough for you? In my life, I have had many experiences with anxiety that felt like a gale force wind; Jesus’ words have been my source of comfort.

Four years ago, when I retired from the pastoral ministry, I did not know how I could live without getting to preach and teach every week. The burning desire to proclaim Christ Jesus was raging then, and is still burning deep within me today. Three years ago, when my wife was wheeled into the operating room for cancer surgery, regardless of the cheery prognosis of her doctor, I was frightened. I couldn’t imagine living without her by my side. Then five days later, I had a heart attack, and if that wasn’t frightening enough, the thirty minute ambulance ride on a dark and rainy night would have brought me to my knees in prayer if I wasn’t strapped down to the gurney.

Even so, with Jesus closely by my side, I have passed safely through these storms. Then, and now, I choose to live my life by clinging desperately to Jesus’ promise:

Alex listens to my voice; I know him, and he follows me. I give him eternal life, and he will never perish. No one can snatch Alex away from me, for my Father has given Alex to me, and He is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch Alex from the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one” (John 10:27-30 Alex’s Translation).

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.

No comments: