Thursday, August 18, 2016

The Resurrection is a Person



August 18, 2016
The Resurrection is a Person

Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying.  Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die. Do you believe this, Martha?”
John  11:25-26

We can know about someone, or we can know of them. We can also know them; know them personally. Professor Thomas Long is coming to our church in a few weeks. I’ve heard Dr. Long preach in conference settings and I have read several of his books. For the last year I have corresponded with him. In just a few weeks I will get the opportunity to engage him one on one. I’ll get to know him!

Martha had been in various settings with Jesus on numerous occasions, and she had come to have great respect and appreciation for his ministry. She affirmed her faith in the final judgment of God and in Jesus, “I have always believed you are the Messiah, the Son of God, the one who has come into the world from God” (John 11:27). Yet, she still did not know him. Martha’s ‘if only’ statement to Jesus reveals an underlying trust in his supernatural powers, but does not reveal an intimate knowledge of the person of Jesus. In his conversation with Martha, Jesus was able to help her understand that the resurrection was not some future event that will happen some day; the resurrection is a person. Jesus, as God’s Messiah, has enabled the future hope of God’s restored Kingdom to become a present reality.

If we are not very careful, Sola gratia, by grace alone, can become just another doctrinal statement. Seeking the life in Christ is first, last, and always all about the person of Jesus and our anthem is:
This is the air I breathe
This is the air I breathe
Your holy presence living in me
This is my daily bread
This is my daily bread
Your very word spoken to me
And I I'm desperate for you
And I I'm lost without you
Breathe
©1995 Mercy / Vineyard Publishing
Words and Music by Marie Barnett

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.

No comments: