Monday, March 20, 2017

The Intimacy Of Parent And Child



March 20, 2017
The Intimacy Of Parent And Child

Be my rock of protection, a fortress where I will be safe. You are my rock and my fortress. For the honor of your name, lead me out of this danger”
Psalm 31:2b-3

Sometimes, when Jesus quoted scripture, he added his own interpretation. We saw this in Psalm 8:2, “From the mouth of infants and nursing babes You have established strength.”  At Matthew 21:16, Jesus quotes this verse saying, “Out of the mouth of infants and nursing babies You have prepared praise for Yourself’”

Jesus adds his interpretation to Psalm 31 as well. Verse five states, “Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God.” In Jesus’ final cry from the Cross, he quotes this verse as, “‘Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.’ I noted in my meditation for Psalm 7 that O LORD was a formal, very reverent, rendering of the name of God. On the Cross, Jesus expresses the intimacy of parent and child.

Throughout the Psalm, David is expressing his trust in God. Do you notice how David goes immediately from petition to affirmation? “Be my rock of protection, a fortress where I will be safe. You are my rock and my fortress. For the honor of your name, lead me out of this danger” (Psalm 31:2b-3). David’s foundation for trust is not in his own worthiness to receive God’s care; rather, his foundation is the grace of God.

Over and over again, David communicates the wonders of trusting in God’s care: “But I am trusting you, O Lord, saying, “You are my God!” My future is in your hands. How great is the goodness you have stored up for those who fear you. You lavish it on those who come to you for protection. Praise the Lord, for he has shown me the wonders of his unfailing love. He kept me safe. Love the Lord, all you godly ones! For the Lord protects those who are loyal to him. So be strong and courageous, all you who put your hope in the Lord!” (Psalm 31:14, 19, 21, 23-24).

Jesus takes all of these gracious expressions for the love and care of God and teaches us to come before God’s throne, as his children, praying, “Our Father, who art in heaven . . .”

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: