Monday, July 17, 2017

Good Counsel for Every Day of Our Lives



July 17, 2017
Good Counsel for Every Day of Our Lives

“Precious in the sight of the Lord
   is the death of his faithful ones.”
Psalm 116:15 (NRSV)

When I was serving as a pastor, I often included Psalm 116 in funerals and memorial services. As I noted in my mediation for Psalm 115, God is not limited to just our mortal lives to fulfill His promises. From God’s eternal perspective, through our mortal death, He gives us rest from our sufferings, our labor and for some, the weariness of long lives. Eternal life is life uninterrupted by death:

“Then, when our dying bodies have been transformed into bodies that will never die, this Scripture will be fulfilled:

“Death is swallowed up in victory.
 O death, where is your victory?
    O death, where is your sting?”
1 Corinthians 15:54-55

Psalm 116 is also a psalm for the living. The psalmist had a near death encounter and is giving thanks to God for saving his life. This experience was literal and in the psalmist’s present time. However, all Christians have had a near death encounter. Apart from Jesus we were near death, “For sin is the sting that results in death, and the law gives sin its power. But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 15:56-57).

The Apostle Paul concludes 1 Corinthians 15, his great proclamation of the victory won by Jesus over sin and death, with a call to “be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord” (1 Corinthians 15:58). The writer of Psalm 116 includes this same theme through four “I will” statements:

“I will lift up the cup of salvation
    and praise the Lord’s name for saving me.
I will keep my promises to the Lord
    in the presence of all his people.

I will offer you a sacrifice of thanksgiving
    and call on the name of the Lord.
I will fulfill my vows to the Lord
    in the presence of all his people—“
Psalm 116:13-14, 17-18

I believe this is good counsel for every day of our lives.


Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

Copyright © 2017 by Alex M. Knight

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: