Monday, April 30, 2018

Set High The Bar


April 30, 2018
Set High The Bar

“Then I heard the Lord asking, “Whom should I send as a messenger to this people? Who will go for us?” I said, “Here I am. Send me”
Isaiah 6:8

Many years ago I started an exercise program of running. I began by running laps at the local high school track. Off to the side of the track was the high jump pit. At the same time I began my training, a young student began training for the high jump. He was pretty pitiful as he began and unable to even clear a waist high bar. But he didn’t stop, he kept trying and on several occasions a coach helped him. At the end of my time running on the track, the young man was gracefully clearing six feet, a height taller than himself. Two lessons have stayed with me from those days at the high school track.

First, the six foot high jump was always within the young man; it was just waiting for an opportunity to come out. Secondly, that experience at the track proved the axiom: it is possible to do with training what is impossible to do by trying. One other principle for life was also very well illustrated by the young man; it is vitally important to set high the bar of our personal expectations.

We all may have various expectations of our achievements in our chosen professions, how accomplished we become at our avocations, and how well we manage our personal life. As the followers of Christ, we never want to forget that it is our Abba Father who sets the bar of expectation for our life in Christ: “For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son, so that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters” (Romans 8:29).

My Takeaway: As I ponder God’s expectation for my life, I pray I will have the courage to respond to my Abba’s call: “Then I heard the Lord asking, “Whom should I send as a messenger to this people? Who will go for us?” I said, “Here I am. Send me” (Isaiah 6:8).

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.

No comments: