Monday, July 2, 2018

I Work At It


July 2, 2018
I Work At It

“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud  or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.”
1 Corinthians 13:4-5

A man stopped on the way home from work for a few drinks with his buddies. As usual, a few turned into several. When he got home his young daughter, who was wearing all over her face whatever had been prepared for her supper, and also had a rather large and odoriferous deposit in her diaper, rushed to jump into his arms. As he stepped backwards, fighting off a sudden wave of nausea, he muttered to his wife, “How do you love something that smells like this?” She calmly replied, “The same way I love a husband who comes home stinkin’ drunk and affectionate; I work at it.”

Someone said they heard the man in that story share it at an AA meeting. I hope so. The story reminds me of the man who explained to his minister why he was filing for divorce, “I just lost my love for her.” The minister replied, “You may lose your screwdriver, but you don’t lose your love for someone. Love is a choice, a decision you make. Love is a verb; it is action, not emotion.” When you spend time pondering the full catalog of love’s virtues in 1 Corinthians 13, you realize that was the point St. Paul was making. Life gives us ample opportunity to be jealous, boastful, proud, rude and irritable. Love chooses to be patient and kind instead.

Love is not easy. Making the decision to love is just the first step; actually loving someone in difficult circumstances is hard work. It has been my experience that taking the first step, making the decision to love, requires reaffirmation, sometimes on a daily basis.

My Takeaway: When I struggle to express love in difficult situations, I recall that 1 Corinthians 13, the Love Chapter, is a vivid description of how God loves us. Not only is God’s love for us patient and kind, God “never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance” (1 Corinthians 13:7). Then I claim the promise: “For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength” (Philippians 4:13).

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: