Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Learning to Wait in Silence


March 19, 2019
Learning to Wait in Silence

“People listened to me expectantly,
    waiting in silence for my counsel.”
Job 29:21 (NIV)

I had to chuckle when I read today’s text from Job. The passage is so succinct, so simple, almost understated, and yet it contains three attributes that I find so difficult to master in my life: waiting, silence, and seeking advice. Not surprisingly, these attributes are so difficult because their fruit is so satisfying for our soul. Our adversary, the great enemy of God whose “purpose is to steal and kill and destroy,” will use all his power in an effort to deny us the fruit (John 10:10). But God is greater and is working in our lives to fulfill Jesus’ purpose to give us a rich and satisfying life.

My human nature may not like to seek advice, but the divine nature of Christ in me relishes in the promise of God: “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you (Psalm 32:8 NIV). 

My human nature needs to pour out all my cares and concerns to the Lord. The divine nature of Christ in me reminds me the writer of Ecclesiastes was right: there is “a time to be silent and a time to speak” (Ecclesiastes 3:7b NIV). Thus I am learning to heed the counsel of Habakkuk: “But the Lord is in his holy Temple. Let all the earth be silent before him” (Habakkuk 2:20).

My human nature thinks waiting is time wasted. The divine nature of Christ in me is teaching me the wisdom of God: “But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint” (Isaiah 40:31 KJV).

My Takeaway: I do have much to learn, and I am exceedingly blessed that my teacher, the divine nature of Christ in me, is equal to the task.

Sē’lah
Alex
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the New Living Translation (NLT) Holy Bible, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: