Friday, July 26, 2019

I Reasoned with Religious Teachers


Meditations based on readings from
The Story of My Life As Told by Jesus Christ

July 26, 2019
I Reasoned with Religious Teachers
Page 31
Luke 2:41-52

The way Jesus tells this story has an interesting similarity to the story he will tell about the two disciples on the road to Emmaus. (Pages 321-22) In both stories, there is a period of three days where Jesus was ‘lost’ and then found again. In both stories Jesus used an imperative to explain what happened: “I must be in my Father’s house”; “the Messiah would have to suffer all these things.” From Jesus’ perspective in both stories, he is not the one who is lost; he is just doing what was necessary for the Messiah to do.

Jesus’ perspective creates a dichotomy for me. On the one hand, I know from the Apostle Paul that nothing can separate me from Christ, because Christ lives in me. (Romans 8:35-39 & Colossians 1:27) But on the other hand, from this story that Jesus tells, he is going to be doing what he needs to do, and it is possible that I might lose sight of him.

My Takeaway: This dichotomy reminds me that I cannot go off in any direction I choose and assume I will always be aware of Christ in me. However, I can rest in the knowledge that if I do lose sight of Jesus, he can be found again. I just have to look in the right places: the sacraments, prayer and the Bible.

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Copyright © 2019 by Alex M. Knight

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

  • Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

  • The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: