Tuesday, September 17, 2019

They Wanted a Sign & My True Family


Meditations based on readings from
The Story of My Life As Told by Jesus Christ

September 17, 2019
They Wanted a Sign & My True Family
Page 106-107
Matthew 12:38-46; Mark 3:31-32a, 4:21-25;
Luke 8:16-19, 11:16, 24-32; Matthew 12:47-50; Mark 3:32b-35; Luke 8:20-21

At the end of today’s passage, Jesus makes clear that His family includes all of His followers, not just his mother and brothers. To some it may seem trite to refer to other members of the family of God as brothers and sisters. However, it is never trite to me when I remember our family relationships were made possible by the atoning sacrifice of Jesus.

Seven years ago, my wife and I relocated from Florida to North Carolina. In the process of establishing our new home we visited several churches. We also have established relationships with health care providers, contractors, realtors and a host of other people. Over and over again, we have experienced the joy of living in God’s favor, those special times when it becomes clear God has brought someone across your path to meet your needs. These new brothers and sisters were, and continue to be a great blessing in our lives. For me, having such an extended family is one of the best benefits of living in the Kingdom of God.

Jesus also makes clear that the benefits of Kingdom living don’t just happen. In an interesting story about the comings and goings of demons, Jesus shows that the Christian life is not just a vacant lot where sin used to reign. Rather, it is a new life filled with the new wine of God’s Kingdom: justice; mercy & peace. Jesus’ parable reminds me that as a follower of Jesus, I am called to proactively fill my life with the things of God. Becoming a Christian is not just a matter of stopping the inappropriate behaviors we call sin. Becoming a Christian is a call to fill the spaces formerly occupied by sinful actions with new acts of grace, mercy, love and justice. If I do not replace the bad habits with good habits, the bad habits will return in vengeance with even more strength.

My Takeaway: It has been my experience that as I proactively seek to fill my life with the things of God, I find I have more friends; I have family wherever I may go.

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Copyright © 2019 by Alex M. Knight

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

  • Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

  • The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: