Tuesday, July 28, 2020

The First Disciples


Meditations of the Gospel of Mark

July 28, 2020
The First Disciples

“The time promised by God has come at last!” he announced. “The Kingdom of God is near! Repent of your sins and believe the Good News!”
Mark 1:15
Read: Mark 1: 14-20

While Mark’s people were desperate for God to again rescue His people, Jesus said there was a prerequisite: “Repent of your sins and believe the Good News!” Before God could rescue them, the people first had to recognize they had many competing loyalties. They trusted their ancestry, their land, their Temple, their laws and even, at times, their God, provided He did what they wanted him to do. But Jesus was calling them (and us) to something new God was doing, and inviting them to come into this new Kingdom. But first they had to cut their ties to their old loyalties and put their faith and trust in Jesus.

That is not easy to do. In this passage, Peter, Andrew, James and John cut the ties to their old loyalties and followed Jesus. Now it is our turn. Do I find my security, my identity in Christ alone, or do I still have competing loyalties? How about you?

My Takeaway: As I read today’s passage, I laid down my Bible and pondered the question, “When did I hear Jesus call me to follow him?” I don’t mean my call to the itinerate ministry; When did I hear Jesus call me to be his follower, his disciple, a Christian? I recall bits and pieces, starts and stops, youth groups and college classes. I recall a friend inviting me to church. I also remember a Sunday evening, alone, after I had been reading the New Testament. I sensed the presence of Christ in my life. I knew then I wanted to be his disciple. I knew he was calling me. As I look back, I am thankful for all of the starts and stops, funerals and weddings. All of the places where I heard bits and pieces about Jesus and the love of God were important to me. But, the most important day was when I heard Jesus call my name.

When did you hear Jesus call your name?

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Copyright © 2020 by Alex M. Knight

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

  • Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

  • The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: