Friday, February 5, 2021

Back to Egypt

Meditations on The Acts of the Apostles        

February 5, 2021

Back to Egypt

“Then the Lord said to him, ‘Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.’

Acts 7:33

Read: Acts 7:17-34

As I read about Moses in today’s passage, I recalled this from Isaiah 55:8-9,

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”

In verse 34, God told Moses He had heard the groaning of the people and had come down to set them free. To accomplish this, He was sending Moses back to Egypt. I’m sure Moses, during the forty years he was in Midian, often thought about what he left behind in Egypt. I am also sure if he ever thought about returning to Egypt, it was not as an agent of God to set the people free. The last time he tried to help the people, they rejected him. (v.28) Indeed, God’s ways, his thoughts, are higher than mine. I must resist the inclination to limit God’s revelation in my life to only what my wisdom can foresee.

I have spent a good while pondering the burning bush, God’s revelation to Moses. I wonder how many burning bushes I have walked by in my life, failing to notice God’s revelation to me because I was too self-adsorbed with my own issues?

My Takeaway: During this pandemic, our culture, especially our churches, are learning new and innovative ways to communicate and function. That is good, because our God is the Master of doing things in new ways. Yet, in his speech, Stephen recalled that God identified himself to Moses as “the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.” (v.32) As I look for new ways to flourish in a changed world, I want to keep my eyes on Jesus. (see Hebrews 12:1-2)

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2021 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments: