Monday, July 5, 2021

Paul’s Request for Prayer

 Meditations on 2 Thessalonians

July 5, 2021

Paul’s Request for Prayer

May the Lord lead your hearts into a full understanding and expression of the love of God and the patient endurance that comes from Christ.

2 Thessalonians 3:5

Read: 2 Thessalonians 3:1-5

As Paul began this closing section of his letter, he asked for prayer. His first request is for the Gospel to rapidly spread and be honored wherever it goes. When I read Paul’s request, I am convicted of how infrequently are my prayers for the Gospel message to spread and be honored in my church, community and nation. Paul’s other requests can also serve as a good model for our prayer life.

In verses 2 and 3, he asked for protection from evil people, and the evil one. His request reminds me of the Lord’s Prayer, “Deliver us from the evil one . . .” (Matthew 6:13), and also Pauls’ exhortation on the armor of God, Ephesians 6. In verses 4 and 5, Paul edifies his friends and prays for their spiritual growth in a way that reminds of me of his beautiful prayer for spiritual wisdom in Ephesians 1:15ff.

My Takeaway: Paul’s final prayer request commends a life of patient endurance. As I noted last week (June 22), a hallmark of the first Christians is their patience. Their patience was rooted in God’s character and a confident assurance God will fulfill his promise of the return of Jesus in final victory.  I am reminded once again that if I am to develop Godly patience in my life, I need to spend much more time in scripture and prayer than I do on social and news media.

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2021 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: