Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Abundance Not Scarcity

Meditations in the Season of Epiphany 

January 25, 2022

Abundance Not Scarcity

Standing nearby were six stone water jars, used for Jewish ceremonial washing. Each could hold twenty to thirty gallons. Jesus told the servants, “Fill the jars with water.” When the jars had been filled, he said, “Now dip some out, and take it to the master of ceremonies.” So the servants followed his instructions.

John 2:6-8

Read: John 2:1-11

“This miraculous sign at Cana in Galilee was the first time Jesus revealed his glory.” (v.11) This passage became personal to me when we visited Cana in 2010. In a chapel in Cana, Cheryl and I renewed our wedding vows.

This passage took on new meaning to me when Cheryl and I visited the Louve in Paris in September 2021. After viewing the Mona Lisa, we stood before a huge painting depicting the wedding at Cana which is located across the room from Miss Lisa. The size of the wedding party in the painting brings the one hundred-eighty gallons of wine Jesus made into perspective. It was certainly an appropriate amount for such a large gathering. Even so, I suspect Jesus may have had a twinkle in his eyes as the Wine Steward took a sample of the new wine to the bridegroom. Jesus may have said to himself, “Laissez les bon temps rouler --- “Let the good times roll.”

In John 10:10, Jesus says, “I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.” (NRSV) There is so much we can unpack in this verse. Most certainly, I believe, Jesus wants us to have a sense of abundance as opposed to a sense of scarcity. Jesus has long been trying to teach this lesson to me, and he really broke through to me on our trip to Paris last September. Our trip to France was magnificent in so many ways. When sharing some of our experiences with a friend, she noted, “You were walking in the FOG – the favor of God.” Yes. Yes, indeed. Our trip to Paris brought us lasting memories of living in the favor of God. The trip was another personal epiphany as we experienced God’s favor providing for us every day.

My Takeaway: I am writing this on the eve of a winter storm warning. My weather app forecasts between twelve and twenty-two inches of snow tonight and tomorrow. My personal epiphanies with Jesus have taught me to fear not. He, and His favor are with us.

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2022 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: