Monday, October 17, 2022

In God’s Time

Meditations on Christ in the Psalms 

October 17, 2022

In God’s Time

“God says, “At the time I have planned”

Psalm 75:2a

Several years ago, Cheryl and I, and our Springer Spaniels, Buster Brown and Hershey, spent seven days driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Several times, especially as we were driving near Mount Mitchell, which with an elevation of 6,684 feet is the highest point east of the Mississippi River, we exclaimed how blessed we are to live in this beautiful part of the world. When we returned home, after seven days on the road, we both exclaimed how happy we were to return to our Mountain Home, which we dearly love. I recall that trip because as I read Psalm 75, I am reminded of when we were in a period of transition. After thirty-two years of pastoral ministry, I retired. At that time, I felt a little like a part of Abraham’s or Moses’ clan, as we were sojourners residing temporarily in a leased home. I had a sense of both uncertainty and adventure as I tried to patiently wait upon the Lord. At that time, Psalm 75 was helpful to me.

“God says, “At the time I have planned” (Psalm 75:2a). At least twice previously in the Psalms, I had been encouraged to wait on the Lord:

“I wait quietly before God,

    for my victory comes from him.”

Psalm 62:1

Be still, and know that I am God!

                                                            Psalm 46:10

The heart of humankind’s rebellion against God is control. We want to be in control. I recall a quote from Lansford W. Hastings in an exhibit at the Museum of Westward Expansion in St. Louis:

“We had proceeded only a few days’ travel, when the American character was fully exhibited. All appeared to be determined to govern, but not to be governed.”

Our desire to control is over both our environment and the others in it, but most especially over our own lives.

My Takeaway: Psalm 75 is an affirmation that God is in control and God moves on God’s timing, not mine. In our case, God’s timing blessed us by planting us in a community where we have made strong friendships with our neighbors. Oh, and did I mention, we love our Mountain Home!

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2022 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: