Tuesday, August 22, 2023

To Become Eucharist

Meditations for Ragamuffins

August 22, 2023

To Become Eucharist

“But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.””

Luke 10:41-42 

I have loved this little episode because I always thought of myself as being just like Mary, sitting at the feet of Jesus. But the truth is, I am way more like Martha: too worried and upset over the details of life. It is easy to deceive ourselves. I think back to the songs or hymns we have playing on our stereo system throughout the day. Most all affirm our hearts and lives as fully-devoted followers of Jesus. But do the affirmations in those songs and hymns truly reflect my daily life?

I know I truly want to embrace the Christian music I listen to and sing. However, when I take the time to truly process what I am singing, I realize there is a disconnection between what I am singing and how I live my life. But I don’t despair because there is no condemnation for those who love the Lord. (Romans 8:1-2) However, when I seriously undertake this little exercise in self-awareness, I experience conviction, the work of the Holy Spirit leading me into all truth.

I am trying to be more intentional about monitoring my outward actions and words, as well as my inner thoughts and feelings, to measure them with the person I want to be, sitting at the feet of Jesus. The word Eucharist is helping me in my quest. This word is translated “Thanksgiving” in protestant liturgy used in services of Holy Communion. It is because of all that God has done in Christ, as represented in the sacrament of Holy Communion, that I can come to God’s Throne of Grace with a grateful heart to sing those praise songs and hymns.

My Takeaway: I believe it is God’s ambition for me to become Eucharist to the world around me as I live a life of joyful gratitude. As a living Eucharist, I will reveal Jesus in my mortal flesh. I want to do just that! How about you?

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2023 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: