Tuesday, December 12, 2023

I Need Patience

Advent & Christmas

December 12, 2023

I Need Patience 

As my vision continued that night, I saw someone like a son of man coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient One and was led into his presence. He was given authority, honor, and sovereignty over all the nations of the world, so that people of every race and nation and language would obey him. His rule is eternal—it will never end. His kingdom will never be destroyed.

Daniel 7:13-14

Read: Daniel 7: 1, 9-18

I understand this passage within the context of the preceding chapter which tells of Daniel in the lion’s den. Chapter six concludes with King Darius proclaiming:

“I decree that everyone throughout my kingdom should tremble with fear before the God of Daniel. For he is the living God, and he will endure forever. His kingdom will never be destroyed, and his rule will never end.” (Daniel 6:26)

I think the Apostle Paul may have been inspired by Daniel’s vision when he talked with the Athenian philosophers on Mars Hill: “For he has set a day for judging the world with justice by the man he has appointed, and he proved to everyone who this is by raising him from the dead.” (Acts 17:31) Paul’s preaching and Daniel’s vision are a call on my life for patience, Godly patience.

Godly patience is rooted in God’s character; God is patient and is working inexorably across the centuries to accomplish his mission, and in the fullness of time has disclosed himself in Jesus Christ. The heart of patience is revealed in the incarnation of Jesus Christ; Jesus’s life and teaching demonstrate what patience means and beckon those who follow him to a patient lifestyle that participates in God’s mission. Patience is not in a hurry; patient Christians live at the pace given by God, accepting incompleteness and waiting; Patience is hopeful and entrusts the future confidently to God. (The Patient Ferment of the Early Church: The Improbable Rise of Christianity in the Roman Empire, Alan Kreider, Baker Academic (March 29, 2016) Emphasis mine)

My Takeaway: There is so much evil prevalent in our world. I began work on these Advent meditations during the first week of November when I was still shaken to my core with the utter evil and savagery carried out by Hamas against the people in Israel on October 7, 2023. Truly another day that will live in infamy.  

Even so, our God reigns and He has promised, “But in the end, the holy people of the Most High will be given the kingdom, and they will rule forever and ever.” (Daniel 7:18) With God’s help, I will seek Godly patience in my life, hopeful patience, as I entrust the future confidently to God.

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2023 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: