Thursday, September 24, 2015

I Want to See Jesus



September 24, 2015
I Want to See Jesus

Then Jesus told him, “You believe because you have seen me.
Blessed are those who believe without seeing me.”
John 20:29

Of course, Jesus’ comments were directed to Thomas’ previous proclamation that he could not believe without seeing Jesus in flesh. Jesus’ rebuke of Thomas’ new found faith after touching the risen Christ is also an affirmation for you and me that we can, by faith, encounter Jesus everywhere we are. Do you believe that?

There are thousands of books and programs aimed at helping the disciples of Jesus see him. We can be taught all sorts of techniques for prayer, we can go away on retreats or sabbaticals, we can attempt to live in austerity or isolation, and the list goes on. I have come to the conclusion that if I cannot encounter Jesus while sitting at my kitchen table, I not likely to encounter him elsewhere or through other means.

I know many will disagree with me. Some are convinced that being in the company of other believers, especially in an emotionally moving worship service enhances their ability to commune with God. Still others believe it is better to go to a designated place, such as a sanctuary or chapel, and others prefer a place free from worldly distractions. I won’t argue with you, but I do warn you to be careful of the deceptions of the flesh!

Jesus’ final words to his disciples were: “And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:20). Jesus is either always with us, 24/7, or he isn’t. No shades of gray, no special circumstances. He is either true to his word, or he is not. As for me, I take the Master of my Soul at his word!

’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus, Just to take Him at His Word;
Just to rest upon His promise, And to know, “Thus saith the Lord!”
Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him! How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er;
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus! Oh, for grace to trust Him more!

'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus
Louisa M. R. Stead, 1882

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.

No comments: