Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It



September 29, 2015
Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

No one can snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand.
John 10:28b-29

A few verses before the above passage, Jesus says “The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life” (John 10:10). Jesus is emphatic that our adversary, the sworn enemy of God, is out to destroy our life. Jesus is even more emphatic that the evil one lacks the power to take us away from God our Father; “I give them eternal life, and they will never perish” (John 10:28a). Our problem, is that like sheep, we tend to stray from our fold, or as the hymn writer so eloquently put it,

Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing
Robert Robinson

The eternal life Jesus promised us is not a new life that begins when we die and go to heaven. Eternal life is life uninterrupted by death! Eternal life begins the instant we receive Jesus as our Lord and Savior. Regrettably, we miss way too much of the rich and satisfying life Jesus has for us because we are prone to wander off to do life by ourselves and on our own terms. Our tendency is to struggle with the meaning of our existence, with our own resources, while missing life from God.

I am taking two prayer requests from today’s text. First, to never cease celebrating Jesus’ promise not to lose me, and secondly, to ask God to deliver me from my pride that fuels my being “prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, prone to leave the God I love.”

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.

No comments: