Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Light For Our Journey

The New Year is only seven days old and already I am feeling stressed from what seems like too many things to do and so little time available. When I start feeling this way I pull out my file of Grace Thoughts and let some of the little gems I have collected over the years help me regain perspective.
Light For Our Journey is one of my favorites and one that I turn to often:


Light For Our Journey *
"Older men served as night sentries for our missionary homes. They swept our yards, heated our bath water, guarded our houses, and were most useful in carrying notes at night between homes. One night I heard a familiar cough. When I went to the door, I could just make out the figure of Papa Jean, {one of the most dedicated sentries}, holding out a note. It was a dark, tropical night. No moon or stars were shining. There were no street lights on this isolated mission station. A small, six inch kerosene lantern with a smoky chimney in Papa Jean's hand gave the only smattering of light.

Such a pitiful little light in such a dark night I thought. "That lamp doesn't give much light, does it, Papa?" I said to him.

"No, it doesn't," he answered. "But it shines as far as I can step."

How often I remember {Papa Jean}.
I can learn to trust God for my future, for I have learned that His light does always shine as far as I can step."
* Virginia Law Shell in Good News magazine, July/August 1990, p.36, quoting from her book As Far As I Can Step

\O/
Selah,
Alex

No comments: