Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Performance Based Acceptance and Life in Grace

Performance Based Acceptance
and
Life in Grace

“Seeking the life in grace as the way of life” is my personal vision statement. Often I am asked if it is really possible to live a “life in grace” in our performance based acceptance culture. Yes, it is possible to live a life in grace, but such a life requires training. Discipleship, or maturing in Christ, is a process of training our minds to understand ourselves the way God does.

“Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” (Romans 12:2 NLT)

Pastors have their performance reviewed by congregations every Sunday. Schoolteachers are evaluated on the basis of the test scores of their students. Test scores may have an important place in education, but they certainly do not give a complete evaluation of a teacher’s effectiveness in the classroom; and they are by no means an indication of the worth or value of the teacher as a person.

For me, there are two important keys in the training or transformation process that lead to a life in grace.

The first key is in understanding that our performance in life does not determine our worth or value as human beings. A Christian, at the very core of their being, is the beloved child of God, with whom God is delighted and upon whom God’s favor rests.

Whether I stammer and stutter aimlessly through a sermon or powerfully preach God’s Word in a way that leads people to God’s throne of grace, God’s love for me is the same.

However, this wonderful, marvelous grace of God does not give the believer license to become an under-achiever. God’s Word calls us to perfection, not mediocrity. This is the second key.

God’s unfailing love for us enables the believer to see the difference between our identity as the beloved child of God and our performance in the world. Both are important. Because we can rest in the security of God’s unchanging love for us, we do not have to be afraid of failure.

God’s perfect love is intended to remove all fear from the believer’s heart. As we live in grace, no matter how miserably we may fail to meet cultural standards, God is not ashamed of us. And, as we live in grace, we are not ashamed to rest in God’s love for us, regardless of the world’s judgment of our performance.

Because of God’s love for me, I want to offer my very best work to God. This I believe is true worship. Offering my very best requires that I am open to receive criticism, direction and correction from my supervisors, peers, and those I serve. Why? Because, with all that I am and all that I have, I desire to honor God, not to earn His favor, but as my response to His love and acceptance of me, just as I am.

This process of transformation is not easy. At times it is very painful. But God has high hopes for us. As we move on toward perfection, we are destined to become just like Jesus. Let us fix our eyes on that goal.

Bill Gillham has a wonderful book that deals with grace and performance based acceptance: Lifetime Guarantee.

Also, Gene Edwards has two good books that may help you understand our trials along the journey to become like Christ: A Tale of Three Kings and The Prisoner in the Third Cell.

\O/
Selah,
Alex.

No comments: