Sunday, June 26, 2011

1 Corinthians 13

A few things to keep in mind as you read chapter 13, the Love Chapter.

To the great shame of the church this chapter has been relegated to weddings and poems. This chapter is the very essence of everything the Apostle Paul believed.

To continue with the metaphor of the symphony band I used yesterday, do not think of chapter 13 as a ‘stand-alone’ chapter. It is the central part of a great symphony that is chapters 12, 13, and 14. They all go together.

Within this divine music of the Kingdom you can see the core of Paul’s theology. We, the followers of Jesus, are living today by the values of the coming Kingdom of God. Today, we are the children of God; therefore we set our hearts and minds on learning to live as the Beloved of God.

As you read verses 4-7, think of how you see these qualities, attributes, and characteristics in the life of Jesus.

Remember Paul’s words in Philippians 2:5 “Have this mind in you that was also in Christ Jesus.” How do you see the attributes of Jesus, verses 4-7, being revealed in your life? Becoming like Jesus, that is your destiny.

Rest. For me the sweetest words in the Bible are in verse 12: “Just as God now knows me completely.” Yes, even though there are so many days when the attributes in verses 4-7 hardly seem present in my life; yes, even though I am most acutely aware of how much more in me is in need of being transformed to become like Christ; even so, my Father wraps His arms around me and says, “Dear one, you are mine and I love you.” My Heavenly Father knows and loves me. He made me. He knows what it is like for me to be me. I rest in the sweet affection of His smile toward me.

By the way, if you were inclined to have some deep and meaningful private devotional time, like your own personal daily retreat, you would do well to spend a week with chapter 13. Just take two verses each day. Read, mediate and reflect on those two verses three times each day; morning, noon and evening. You would do well.

No comments: