Wednesday, June 29, 2011

1 Corinthians 15: 12-34

Our passage today reminds me how important it is for me to keep focused on the foundation of my faith. Our culture tempts me to believe that if I do the right things in the right way then the church I lead will be successful. The pews will be full and the offering plates will be overflowing. With that thinking, when the pews are vacant and the offering plates are near empty, it can be quite depressing. As well as it should be if I am putting my faith in me doing the right things the right way. Our passage today reminds me that as a Christian my faith rests on one fact and one fact alone: The resurrection of Jesus.

If Jesus has not been resurrected there is no hope for today, much less an eternal future with God the Father. If Jesus has been resurrected from the dead it is still very important that I do the right things the right way. However, the purpose of my service changes from seeking to be successful for God to being faithful to God. My Father has promised me that because Jesus has been raised from the dead, I most definitely have a hope for today and for the future. Because Jesus has been resurrected I can serve God trusting that He is working all things together to accomplish His will.

For me, it makes all the difference in the world whether I go through life trusting in my ability to be good or trusting that God my Father, who resurrected Jesus, knows my name and has saved me from sin and death.

All my faith rests in one basket: The resurrection of Jesus.


What does today’s reading reveal to you about God?
What does it reveal to you about yourself?
Think about what God wants you to do or remember about this passage.

Does God want you to change anything in your life?

No comments: