Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Camp Patience



May 7, 2014            Camp Patience

“So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death.”
Romans 8:1-2

This great affirmation of the Apostle Paul about our right standing with God is another of my ‘go to’ Scriptures. This is not a matter of ‘get to’ for me; I ‘have to’ go here often. Why? Because I so readily identify with something Paul wrote in Romans 7: “I want to do what is right, but I can’t.  I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway” (Romans 7:18b-19). In the very bright light of my own acute awareness of my weakness, my sin, the lapses in my faith, I need to hear God remind me that I belong to Him, forever and ever: “there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1). 

The bottom line for us Christ followers is that God does not have ‘buyer’s remorse.’ He knew exactly what he was receiving when Christ died for us “while we were still sinners” (Romans 5:8b). The desire of God’s heart is that we will enjoy and take delight in Him now, as he enjoys and takes delight in us, now.

“For since our friendship with God was restored by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be saved through the life of his Son. So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God” (Romans 5:10-11).

Too often, it seems like my transformation from the person I am today, and the person I want to become in Christ, is taking way too long. In these times the Holy Spirit reminds me, sometimes gently, sometimes not so much so, that this is the time to learn the spiritual disciple of patience. I am called to remember the truth that God is working in me, giving me the desire and the power to do what pleases him. (Philippians 2:13) I suspect there may be times when you need to join me in Camp Patience. By the way, you will discover they have a nightly parade at Camp Patience, just like at Disney World, and our nightly anthem is:

“So you’ll go out in joy,
    you’ll be led into a whole and complete life.
The mountains and hills will lead the parade,
    bursting with song.
All the trees of the forest will join the procession,
    exuberant with applause.”
Isaiah 55:12 (The Message)

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.


No comments: