Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Where Jesus Is, I Am Called To Be Also



May 27, 2014
Where Jesus Is, I Am Called To Be Also

“Light shines in the darkness for the godly.
    They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.”
Psalm 112:4

The godly, the followers of Jesus, are generous, compassionate, and righteous. Why? Because we are destined to become just like our leader Jesus who is generous, compassionate, and righteous. All those attributes I noted about the incomprehensible love of God, beyond worthiness and unworthiness, beyond fidelity and infidelity, without caution, regret, boundary, limit, or a breaking point, are attributes God is working into our character as Christ is formed within us. How does God work these attributes into our character, how is Christ formed in us?

God is at work in us, working all things together for our transformation, when we are pressed on every side by troubles, when we are perplexed, when we are hunted down, and when we get knocked down. Although in the eyes of the world’s culture we are fragile, vulnerable, and weak, nevertheless it is in these times that the life of Jesus is made visible in our mortal flesh. (See Philippians 2:13 & 2 Corinthians 4:7-11)

It is much easier to write this observation about the life in Christ, than it is to live out these realities. Everything in our American culture has conditioned us to be strong, not weak, to be successful, not failures, to be self-sufficient, not dependent. The life in Christ cuts across the grain of our cultural norms. My personality draws me deep into my cave where I can live in isolation; the personality of Jesus, my Master, draws me back outside where I can engage and interact with the culture. Why? Because where Jesus is, I am called to be also.

Did I mention Jesus never said following him would be easy?


Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.

No comments: