Thursday, July 30, 2015

Come to Jesus


July 30, 2015
Come to Jesus



This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin. So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.
Hebrews 4:15-16

Somewhere in my life’s journey I recall a dialog: “It must be very difficult being you” the first person said, somewhat facetiously. “You have no idea!” the other person replied, revealing that the comment contained much more truth than the first person realized. That simple exchange resonated deeply within my soul.

The wounds of life can cut deeply, and for many, the work of building a solid foundation on the faithfulness of Christ must begin anew each day. Thankfully, “The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning” (Lamentations 3:22-23).   

Sometimes we may be tempted to focus more on our weaknesses and the fact that when Jesus faced the same testing we do, he did not sin, but we do. Such focus can make us reluctant to ask, hesitant to receive blessings from God. When I find myself so situated, I like to recall John’s vision of the Risen Christ in Revelation 1. As John contemplated this vision, as he looked upon the face of Jesus which was like the sun in all its brilliance, he fell at the feet of Jesus, as if he were dead. Jesus’ response is something I want to ever keep before me: “But (Jesus) laid his right hand on (John) and said, “Don’t be afraid! I am the First and the Last. I am the living one. I died, but look—I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave” (Revelation 1:17b-18).

Jesus told John, and he is telling you and me, “Don’t focus on your sin and weakness; focus on my victory over sin and death!” That is exactly what the writer in Hebrews was saying. Don’t focus on your weakness, your failed testings and sin; focus on the throne of our gracious God. Because of Jesus’ victory over our sin and death, we are promised God’s mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.

Because of our brokenness, coming boldly to God’s throne of grace may cut against every instinct within us. Even so, don’t focus on your instincts; focus of the One holding the keys; come to Jesus!  

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.

No comments: