Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The Depth of My Own Sin



September 13, 2017
The Depth of My Own Sin

You may think you can condemn such people, but you are just as bad, and you have no excuse!
Romans 2:1a
Read: Romans 2:1-11

If there was any chance, after reading chapter one, that I might be feeling a bit smug after reading Paul’s description of sinful behavior, he begins chapter two with an invitation for me to look in the mirror. Paul’s words in today’s reading remind me of Jesus’ teaching in the Sermon on the Mount; “And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own?” The sin of judging other people is a constant theme throughout the Bible. Paul addressed this concern by teaching about my sinfulness for the next few chapters. I need this time. Why? My knowledge of grace prevents me from fully appreciating the depth of my own sin.

I can’t un-ring the bell. I love God’s grace. I’ve read the letter to the Romans before. I know what lies ahead, especially in chapters five through eight. My problem is that I like to focus on the assurance of forgiveness so much that I do not spend enough time identifying, understanding and repenting from the sins in my life. The truth is that God’s grace cannot do a complete work in me, freeing me from the practice and power of sin, unless I am convinced down to the marrow of my bones how desperately I need God’s grace.

My Takeaway: I want to be patient and reflective and take my time moving forward with Paul. As much as I know grace is coming, I still want God’s Tsunami of Grace to overwhelm me, because without it I will die.

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

Copyright © 2017 by Alex M. Knight

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: