Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Jesus, All for Jesus


August 14, 2018
Jesus, All for Jesus

For in him we live and move and have our being.
Acts 17:28a

Just as I started to write this, Robin Mark’s song, Jesus, All for Jesus, began to play on my iPod.  I think I can hear Saint Paul giving Robin a “Yes and Amen” because his lyrics certainly parallel Paul’s comments at Areopagus (Mars Hill) in Athens. (Acts 17) Although Robin’s praise song has some catchy lyrics, Paul was pointing to something much deeper in his comments to the philosophers of Athens. Paul was pointing to the almost incomprehensible foundation of Christianity. The very core of our faith is a personal relationship between mere mortal human beings and the eternal God, Creator of all that exists, and revealed in Christ Jesus.

All religions share three basic elements. They all have an intellectual element that is their doctrines and beliefs. All religions have a sacramental element that provides for their manner of worship and sacrifice. All religions have a personal element that determines the relationship between the individual and their god. The uniqueness of our Christian faith is that Jesus stands at the center of all three of these elements.

John’s Gospel affirms that Jesus, the Word and God, stands at the center of all we believe about God: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.” (John 1:1-4, 14).

Saint Augustine rightly observed that it is Jesus alone who baptizes, confirms, forgives and heals. Jesus is the host, and the meal itself, in the sacrament of Holy Communion, and thus Jesus is the very heart of worship. Jesus is all of our beliefs about God, he is the very substance of our worship, and he is our relationship with God the Father Almighty because, “In him we live and move and have our being.”

My Takeaway: As I contemplate my life in Christ I sing these words from Robin Mark’s song, Jesus, All for Jesus:

Jesus, all for Jesus
All I am and have and ever hope to be
Jesus, all for Jesus
All I am and have and ever hope to be

All of my ambitions, hopes and plans
I surrender these into your hands
All of my ambitions, hopes and plans
I surrender these into your hands

For it's only in your will that I am free
For it's only in your will that I am free
Jesus, all for Jesus
All I am and have and ever hope to be

Sē’lah
Alex

<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments: