Thursday, December 27, 2018

Coming in Glory


December 27, 2018
Coming in Glory

When Christ, who is your life, appears,
then you also will appear with him in glory.
Colossians 3:4

The purpose of the Christian season of Advent is to prepare us for the coming again of Jesus in glory. The foundation of our hope in his Second Coming was his birth in Bethlehem. During the Season of Christmas, twelve days from December 25 to January 6, we reflect on the truth that in Christ, God entered human history and identified fully with the human condition. We recall the Apostle John’s magnificent statement, "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." (John 1:14). Christmas arouses hope in Jesus’ coming again in glory to establish God’s Kingdom on earth.

Several years ago, I thought I found something that I believed would help me remain close to this hope throughout the year. Our church has a very large Prayer Labyrinth that we set up in the fellowship hall during Advent and Lent. Sometimes it is helpful to carry something with you as you walk the labyrinth. That Advent, I took my Pocket Prayer Book, but it was too dark to read, so I picked up a little bronze token of a six-pointed star with this prayer, taken from Matthew 2:6, engraved on one side:

“O Bethlehem, from you shall come forth one who will be king.”

I planned to carry that prayer with me in my pocket so that every time I reached in my pocket and felt the star I would remember my prayer walk, and I would remember the one who will be king.

It only took me a couple of weeks before I lost my prayer token.  

My Takeaway: I may have lost the prayer token, but I still remember that when Christ, who is my life, is revealed to the whole world, I will share in all his glory.


Sē’lah
Alex

<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments: