Thursday, November 7, 2019

I Continued Teaching with Many Parables:


Meditations based on readings from
The Story of My Life As Told by Jesus Christ

November 7, 2019
I Continued Teaching with Many Parables:
Part One - The Cost of Discipleship
Page 187-188
Luke 14:7-34

Jesus begins with a parable based on his observations of how people were jockeying for position and recognition of their perceived status with God. This parable would have had particular meaning to the first century church. The Jewish Christians struggled with the notion that the Gentiles were as welcome at the table of their God as they were. It is very difficult for some people to fully embrace that each and every one of us stands in need of God’s grace. When we lose sight of this truth, we experience pride and arrogance creeping into our lives.

To emphasize his point, Jesus gives a parable about the Great Banquet. An inherit characteristic of our humanity is that we are tribal. We gravitate toward people who are just like us: people with the same color skin, similar backgrounds and tastes and similar financial standing. It is pretty easy to welcome people just like we are; it is more difficult to welcome people who are different. The man in Jesus’ parable was doing more than just welcoming all people to his table; he was going into the streets and alleys of the town and bringing in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame. Welcoming all people is just one-half of what Jesus expects of each of us; inviting all people is the other half.

John Wesley loved the word holiness. He talked about scriptural holiness, holiness of the heart and holiness of life. Many people mistakenly think holiness has to do with rigid laws or rules, which through obedience, make a person holy. Not so; holiness is a state of being. As Christians, we know that our state of being, our acceptance by God, comes as a gift of God’s grace, through faith in Jesus. The definition that I think best fits John Wesley’s use of the word holiness is a state of being in harmony with God. The result of being in harmony with God is a change in vision. When we are in harmony with God, God raises us up, and we can see more, and we can see more clearly.

Our journey toward walking in harmony with God will call us to sacrifice all allegiances we’ve had before. Jesus’ words here are strong because they need to get our attention. Jesus is not saying that I am to disown my family and sell everything I have and retreat from the world. Jesus is telling me to make a list of everything that is important to me: wife, children, pets, friends, work, property etc. Now, at the very top of the list, insert God. My allegiance is to God, period. Then as I walk in harmony with God, I have the vision to truly know and love the others in my life. My allegiance to God, my walking in harmony with God, informs and defines everything else in my life.

MY Takeaway: Why would I want to make such a sacrifice or change in my life? Why would I want to give up control of life to Jesus?  The Apostle Peter answers for me:

“Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life.  We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God” (John 6:68-69).

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Copyright © 2019 by Alex M. Knight

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

  • Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

  • The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: