Monday, November 30, 2020

The First Disciples

 Advent Meditations

November 30, 2020

The First Disciples

Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow me,

and I will show you how to fish for people!”

Matthew 4:19

Read Matthew 4:18-22

Ten years ago, I had the opportunity to stroll along the water’s edge of the Sea of Galilee. I thought about Peter and Andrew and James and John leaving their nets and boats to follow Jesus. My thoughts then turned to when I heard Jesus call me to follow him. I don’t mean my call to the itinerate ministry. When did I hear Jesus call me to be his follower, his disciple, a Christian? I recalled bits and pieces, starts and stops, youth groups and college classes. I remembered a friend inviting me to church. As I looked back, I was thankful for all of the starts and stops, funerals and weddings. All of the places where I heard bits and pieces about Jesus and the love of God were used by God as His prevenient grace to prepare me for the most important day in my life: the day I heard Jesus call my name.

Two points stand out to me today as I read this passage. First, it is Jesus who does the calling. It wasn’t my idea to become a follower of Jesus – it was his idea, he called me! Secondly, I don’t mold myself into a follower of Jesus. Jesus shows me how to be his follower. (see Philippians 2:13)

My Takeaway: Jesus didn’t wait long to show his disciples how to follow him. Immediately after today’s passage, Jesus delivers his Sermon on the Mount; an intense course in advanced discipleship. (Matthew 5, 6, & 7) Jesus has, and is, giving us everything we need to be his faithful followers.

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

 

Copyright © 2020 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: