Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Festus Consults King Agrippa

 Meditations on The Acts of the Apostles

May 5, 2021

Festus Consults King Agrippa

Instead, they had some points of dispute with him about their own religion and about a dead man named Jesus who Paul claimed was alive.

Acts 25:19

Read: Acts 25:13-27       

A couple of things caught my attention as we read of Festus setting the stage for Paul to give yet another defense of his passion for Christ.

First, I am reminded of these words of Jesus: “On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles.” (Matthew 10:18) These were Jesus’ words as he sent the twelve out to do ministry in his name. In our readings in Acts, we are seeing these words fulfilled.

Secondly, you may recall that often, as we first began reading Acts, I noted how important it was to the disciples that the foundation of their witness for Christ was his resurrection: “For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection.” (Acts 1:22b) Paul was before Festus in 62AD, thirty-two years after the resurrection and ascension of Jesus. Even so, the disciples are known for their belief in a dead man named Jesus who was alive.

My Takeaway: Once again, the civil authorities are protecting Paul: “I found he had done nothing deserving of death . . .” (v. 25) Nothing is impossible for God. My challenge is to remember that God does what is impossible for us when God is moving for His will to be done on earth, not when I am trying to move my own agenda.

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2021 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

 

No comments: