Monday, May 10, 2021

This Man Could Have Been Set Free

 Meditations on The Acts of the Apostles

May 10, 2021

This Man Could Have Been Set Free

Paul replied, “Short time or long—I pray to God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains.”

Acts 26:29

Read: Acts 26:24-32       

Fetus thought Paul was crazy. Not much has changed. Nevertheless, we press on proclaiming our message of hope.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. (I Corinthians 1:18)

Agrippa’s response, “Then Agrippa said to Paul, “Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?” (v.28), intrigued John Wesley who preached an entire sermon on this verse. In the sermon, The Almost Christian was someone who acted honestly, morally and with sincerity, holding to a form of godliness, but without true love of God and neighbor, nor saving faith in Jesus.

”Agrippa said to Festus, “This man could have been set free if he had not appealed to Caesar.”” (v.32) Did Paul make a mistake by appealing his case to Caesar? I don’t think so. In chapter 25, we read that Festus offered to take Paul back to Jerusalem to stand trial there. Paul knew that in Jerusalem, he might be assassinated, or that the Jews would put so much pressure on Festus he would be found guilty. Paul’s only chance to be released from prison was his appeal to Caesar.

My Takeaway: Paul wrote to the Corinthians, “For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.” (1 Corinthians 2:2) He displayed that same focus as he gave his defense to Festus and Agrippa. May I be so like-minded.

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2021 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments: