Monday, May 23, 2022

But We Have Never Used This Right

Meditations in First Corinthians

May 23, 2022

But We Have Never Used This Right 

Am I not as free as anyone else? Am I not an apostle? Haven’t I seen Jesus our Lord with my own eyes? Isn’t it because of my work that you belong to the Lord? Even if others think I am not an apostle, I certainly am to you. You yourselves are proof that I am the Lord’s apostle.

1 Corinthians 9:1-2

Read: 1 Corinthians 9:1-12a

In your first reading, today’s passage may seem a bit over the top, as Paul goes to great length to justify his calling as an apostle, and the rights and benefits that are included with such a calling.

First, this passage is understood in the light of that portion of verse 12 quoted above as the title of today’s meditation. Remember in my May 20, 2022, meditation I quoted Philippians 2:3-4, “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.” (NRSV) Paul is modeling this behavior for the church in Corinth.

Secondly, the context of Paul’s defense of his apostleship is about what we read in Chapter 8: food sacrificed to idols. Paul taught his congregations “you live under the freedom of God’s grace.” (Romans 6:14) Some in Corinth understood this freedom to give them liberty to eat meat sacrificed to idols. Paul said true, but not everything that is permissible is beneficial. Paul is using his own life as an example of how to live self-sacrificially to draw others to Christ. This is a difficult lesson for us to grasp, but the good news is we will spend four days this week on chapter nine and Paul’s important teaching.

My Takeaway: What is there in the Gospel that can motivate us to listen carefully to Paul, and to take seriously his teachings? For me it is John 14:6, “Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.”” Because I believe this statement of Jesus to be true, I am compelled to live a life that draws people to Jesus.

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2022 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: