Friday, January 18, 2013

Friday, January 18, 2013



The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
Friday, January 18, 2013   I Was Once More Rejected in My Home Town 
Page 177      Matthew 13:53b-58; Mark 6:1-6a

In today’s reading we learn that most of Jesus’ hometown still sees him as the carpenter’s son, not the Messiah. The text gives us the names of some of Jesus’ siblings, including James, and this prepares us for the rest of the story. The Apostle Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 15:7 that after his resurrection, Jesus appeared to James. We learn in the Book of Acts that James becomes a leader of the Christian church in Jerusalem and he writes the Book of James, the 20th book in the New Testament. Jesus has taught us about planting seeds and giving the seed time to grow. James is an example of Jesus’ teaching in Mark 4:8, “Still other seeds fell on fertile soil, and they sprouted, grew, and produced a crop that was thirty, sixty, and even a hundred times as much as had been planted!”

However, in that same parable 75% of the seeds do not produce a crop. We have no information about Jesus’ other three brothers, or his sisters. Perhaps they came to faith in Jesus, perhaps not. This periscope into Jesus’ family illustrates two important truths for the followers of Jesus. First, “God shows no favoritism” (Acts 10:34). Each person stands alone before God, equal in His eyes as any other person in the world. We each get to “work out (our) own salvation with fear and trembling” (Philippians 2:12 NRSV).

Learning to be satisfied only with the sufficiency of God’s grace is the second truth. We all desperately strive to be loved, to be accepted and to have a sense that our life matters. All of us want adulation and respect from our family and friends. In the writing and distribution of these meditations, I continually receive reports on how many people are reading them. When there is an addition, or deletion to the distribution lists, or change in number of page views on my BLOG, I am notified. When the number increases I am happy. When the number goes down, I feel rejection.

I want these meditations to be helpful to my readers and my ego would like to see an ever expanding increase in readers. However, I know the only thing that really matters is if these medications are helpful for God to achieve His plan of redemption for the world. I know that God wants me to rest in His affirmation and to be satisfied even if He was my only subscriber. I’m not there, yet.

But, I want to be.


Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription


The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
Monday, January 21, 2013           I Sent Out Seventy-Two Disciples
Page 181-182         Matthew 11:20-30; Luke 10:1-24

No comments: