Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Psalm 127

Reading for September 5, 2012            Psalm 127

I believe the most grievous error a Christian can make is to assume that what we believe about God and His Kingdom is the absolute truth. Good people, good Christians can disagree on points of theology, doctrine and in understanding God’s will in a particular situation. Acts 15:36-41 tells the story of Paul and Barnabas disagreeing, to the point that they separated company. The Moravian Count Nikolaus von Zinzendorf was a close friend and mentor to John Wesley. Yet they disagreed passionately about their understanding of a crucial aspect in the life of a believer: holiness in life and holiness of heart. As a result, they parted company.

However, there are aspects of our life in Christ that leave no room for compromise. King Solomon’s wisdom in Psalm 127 is an example of a truth that opens the possibility of Christ truly being formed in the life of a believer. Simply put, “Unless the Lord builds a house, the work of the builders is wasted (v. 1). The psalmist is pointing us to an understanding that the life of a believer totally belongs to God. The Apostle James captures this same thought,

“Look here, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit.” How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone. What you ought to say is, “If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that.” Otherwise you are boasting about your own plans, and all such boasting is evil” (James 4:13-16).

I express my understanding of the psalmist’s and James’ teaching in this prayer of an unknown saint:

O Lord, how excellent is your name in all the earth;
I worship you. With all angels and saints I adore you.
I acknowledge you to be my Creator and my God.
I render to you the reverence of my being and my life.
I am not my own. I am yours.
By creation and redemption I am yours.
I will devote myself to your service this day and forever.
O Lord, grant grace for this I pray
in the name of my Savior, Christ Jesus.
Amen
(Emphasis Mine)

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading of the Psalms
 attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

Reading for September 6, 2012            Psalm 128

No comments: