Friday, September 21, 2012

Psalm 143



Reading for September 21, 2012          Psalm 143

Sometimes I really have to stand back from David’s psalms, and take my time processing through them. If David were living in our culture, he may well be diagnosed with a personality disorder, because he is so quick to self-disclose his emotions and problems. My background is such that I am very reticent to disclose my personal feelings. I am very guarded about when, where and how much I will share about my life. If I am not careful, I am put off by David’s lament that he has been knocked to the ground, forced to live in darkness, is losing all hope, and paralyzed with fear as his depression deepens.

As I read back through the psalm, I see two important insights to David’s relationship with God. These are qualities in their relationship that I want to emulate in my walk with God. First, David’s God is a BIG God. There is nothing too big, or too small in David’s life that he withholds from God. In my life, I would do well to have a running dialog with God, as I share with Him everything I see and feel, and then open myself to receive God’s perspective, God’s wisdom, and God’s direction for my life.

The second insight is essential to living my life in Christ. The foundation of life in Christ is grace. From the beginning of our relationship with God to our receiving the crown of righteousness, our life in Christ is all about grace. The world we live in is diametrically opposite of grace, as our world is steeped in performance- based acceptance. When I enter into dialog with God, first, last and always I come to Him, not through anything I can ever offer, but always because of His faithfulness.

David makes clear in Psalm 143 that it is God’s goodness and faithfulness that is the basis for David’s hope: Answer me because you are faithful and righteous; May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing; for the glory of your name, O Lord, preserve my life; Because of your faithfulness, bring me out of this distress; In your unfailing love, silence all my enemies” (Psalm 143: 1, 10-12).

My faith rests completely on the faithfulness of Jesus,

Though he was in the form of God, he did not consider being equal with God something to exploit. But he emptied himself by taking the form of a slave and by becoming like human beings. When he found himself in the form of a human, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore, God highly honored him and gave him a name above all names, so that at the name of Jesus everyone in heaven, on earth, and under the earth might bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Philippians 2:6-11 (CEB)

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading of the Psalms
 attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

Reading for September 22, 2012          Psalm 144

No comments: