Thursday, September 20, 2012

Psalm 142



Reading for September 20, 2012          Psalm 142

“Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone” (Genesis 2:18). God created humankind to be in community, to be in relationship with Him, and with others. Steeped into the DNA of humans are the needs to be loved, to be accepted, and to have a sense that our life matters. Within the human experience, there is perhaps no greater fear than rejection and abandonment. In our human experience, we strive to have these needs met through our relationships with others. Some people are satisfied with the extent these needs are met by others; however, I believe the experience of most people is marginal, at best.

A postscript was added to this psalm telling us this psalm is about David’s experience in a cave. First Samuel 22 and 24 tell of David seeking refuge in a cave when he was being pursued by King Saul. In his later years, King David was pursued by his son Absalom, after he usurped his father’s throne. David certainly experienced times of abandonment and rejection in his life.

Saint Augustine wrote, “Our heart is restless until it rests in you.” This was David’s experience, and we too can find our peace, our rest, in the unconditional love and acceptance of God, our Savior. The NLT renders verse 5, “You are my place of refuge. You are all I really want in life.” I’m not sure that translation fully reflects David’s sure confidence that God was both his refuge, and the One who meets all of his needs. I prefer the NRSV translation because the word portion connotes, as a present reality, the sufficiency of God to meet our needs: ‘You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.’

Perhaps you are struggling with fears of rejection or abandonment. Perhaps you are struggling to find your rest in God, to trust that God will meet your needs for love and acceptance. In times of loneliness you can pray Psalm 142 as your own personal prayer to God. Then add this benediction to your prayer,

God my Abba will take care of me. He will supply all my needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to me in Christ Jesus. Amen.
Philippians 4:19

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading of the Psalms
 attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

Reading for September 21, 2012          Psalm 143

No comments: