Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Tuesday, December 04, 2012



The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
Tuesday, December 04, 2012      They Wanted a Sign & My True Family  
Page 106-107   Matthew 12:38-46; Mark 3:31-32a, 4:21-25; Luke 8:16-19, 11:16, 24-32; 
Matthew 12:47-50; Mark 3:32b-35; Luke 8:20-21

At the end of today’s passage, Jesus makes clear that His family includes all of His followers, not just his mother and brothers. To some it may seem trite to refer to other members of the family of God as brothers and sisters. However, it is never trite to me when I remember our family relationships were made possible by the atoning sacrifice of Jesus.

Recently, my wife and I relocated from Florida to North Carolina. In the process of establishing our new home we visited several churches. We also have established relationships with health care providers, contractors, realtors and a host of other people. Over and over again, we have experienced “God Sightings,” those special times when it becomes clear God has brought someone across your path to meet your needs. These new brothers and sisters have been a great blessing in our transition. For me, having such an extended family is one of the best benefits of living in the Kingdom of God.

Jesus also makes clear that the benefits of Kingdom living don’t just happen. In an interesting story about the comings and goings of demons, Jesus shows that the Christian life is not just a vacant lot where sin used to reign. Rather, it is a new life filled with the new wine of God’s Kingdom: justice; mercy & peace. Jesus’ parable reminds me that as a follower of Jesus, I am called to proactively fill my life with the things of God. Becoming a Christian is not just a matter of stopping the inappropriate behaviors we call sin. Becoming a Christian is a call to fill the spaces formerly occupied by sinful actions with new acts of grace, mercy, love and justice. If I do not replace the bad habits with good habits, the bad habits will return in vengeance with even more strength.

As we proactively seek to fill our lives with the things of God, we find we have more than friends; we have family wherever we may go.

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
Wednesday, December 05, 2012 I Told Simple Stories        
Page 111-112         Matthew 13:24-52; Mark 4:10a, 26-34

No comments: