Friday, February 21, 2014

He Has Revealed God to Us



Friday, February 21, 2014          He Has Revealed God to Us
John  12: 44-50

John opened his Gospel with the declaration that Jesus and God are One, and that Jesus’ mission was to reveal God to the world: “No one has ever seen God. But the unique One, who is himself God, is near to the Father’s heart. He has revealed God to us” (John 1:18). In today’s passage Jesus affirmed his mission: “If you trust me, you are trusting not only me, but also God who sent me. For when you see me, you are seeing the one who sent me” (John 12:44b-45).

Jesus’ remarks in this passage help us understand the connection between faith, that is our believing, and Jesus’ signs. Last night when I went to bed, I did so believing the sun would rise this morning. This morning, notwithstanding the thunder storm last night, the sun did rise, not because I believed it would, but because that is the nature of the sun. It rises and sets each day. My believing opens the possibility for me benefiting from the warmth and light the sun will bring.

The Prophet Jeremiah writes, “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning” (Lamentations 3:22-23). My believing this passage does not make it real. God’s mercies are new every morning whether I believe it or not. My believing opens the opportunities for me to experience God’s mercy anew every day.

Many people did not believe Jesus was the Messiah or that he was birthing God’s New Creation. Nevertheless, Jesus was the Messiah, and he continued with his mission to bring about God’s New Creation. Those who chose to believe Jesus benefited greatly. They still do.

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.

No comments: