Monday, February 10, 2014

The Resurrection is a Person



Monday, February 10, 2014       The Resurrection is a Person
John  11: 17-27

We can know about someone, or we can know of them. We can also know them; know them personally. I love the music of Robin Mark of Belfast, Northern Ireland. I had listened to and enjoyed his music for many years. Then I had an opportunity to spend a week with him in a setting where he led worship services for our group twice per day, I got to know him. After hosting him to lead worship at my church on two occasions, and corresponding with him, my personal knowledge of him grew, and my appreciation for his music and his ministry deepened.

Martha had been in various settings with Jesus on numerous occasions, and she had come to have great respect and appreciation for his ministry. She affirmed her faith in the final judgment of God and in Jesus, “I have always believed you are the Messiah, the Son of God, the one who has come into the world from God” (John 11:27). Yet, she still did not know him. Martha’s ‘if only’ statement to Jesus reveals an underlying trust in his supernatural powers, but does not reveal an intimate knowledge of the person of Jesus. In his conversation with Martha, Jesus was able to help her understand that the resurrection was not some future event that will happen some day; the resurrection is a person. Jesus, as God’s Messiah, has brought the future hope of God’s restored Kingdom to become a present reality.

If we are not very careful, Sola gratia, by grace alone, can become just another doctrinal statement. Seeking the life in Christ is first, last, and always all about the person of Jesus and our anthem is:

This is the air I breathe
This is the air I breathe
Your holy presence living in me

This is my daily bread
This is my daily bread
Your very word spoken to me

And I I'm desperate for you
And I I'm lost without you
Breathe
©1995 Mercy / Vineyard Publishing
Words and Music by Marie Barnett

 Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.

No comments: